Thursday, April 7, 2011

Quick Cabbage and Fire Roasted Tomatoes

My husband loved this fast FAT-FREE Cabbage dish. I've always made cabbage with bacon or ham fat. Yes, I have German, Polish and Southern cooking roots. The one thing I didn't expect is that the canned Fire Roasted Tomatoes come with "burn marks." The burn marks had me panicking when I thought that I had burned the food!! No burns and no burn flavor....whew;)

Do you love my Mom's 1970's flowered pot?

Quick Cabbage and Fire Roasted Tomatoes

1 head of Cabbage chopped
1 Sweet Onion chopped
A large hand full of Shredded Carrots
1 small can of Tomato Paste + 2 cans of water
1 can of Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes + 3 cans of water
1 tbsp. of Minced garlic
Cracked black pepper to taste

Add the Tomato Paste, Diced Tomatoes and cans of water to a large pot and bring to a boil.
Stir in the Garlic and Pepper.
After the liquid boils, add the Onion and Carrots and stir in.
Then add the Cabbage and bring down the stove burner to medium.
The liquid should just barely cover the top of the vegetables. If you need more liquid, add water.



Simmer until the cabbage is soft, but not soggy. About 10 minutes.
Remember to stir occasionally to avoid sticking.

Tip: I use a slotted spoon to move the vegetables to a serving bowl. I leave most of the liquid in the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment