Friday, April 15, 2011

Old Fashion Greek Cabbage Salad: Cole Slaw

I don't often chop my own cabbage for a salad. I usually take the fast approach and buy it pre-chopped in a bag at the store. Chopping the cabbage by hand brought back memories of my Babcia. Dad's mom from Poland. I remember her mixing her salad in a huge bowl. Today I mixed mine in one of Mom's old pots since I didn't have a bowl large enough for all of the cabbage.

I remember both of them grating the carrots. That's where I drew the line. I let the Vita-Mix do the carrot grinding. Along with a very finely grated carrot, it created a bit of carrot juice which added to the moisture of the salad.

I hope that you enjoy this salad as much as the people at the picnic I brought it to!!!

Old Fashion Greek Cabbage Salad: Cole Slaw

1 large head of Cabbage, coarsely chopped
20 Baby Carrots, ground in the Vita-Mix
(faster than grating)
1/2 cup of Fresh Parsley, chopped
1/2 Green Bell Pepper, diced
1/3 to 1/2 cup of Greek Salad Dressing

Toss together by hand.
Chill overnight or for several hours for the flavors to blend.

Healthy Lifestyle Tip: When taking a salad to a pot-luck or picnic, use a bottled oil based dressing rather than mayonnaise or a dressing requiring refrigeration.

Homemade Greek Salad Dressing or Marinade

1/4 cup of Olive Oil
Juice of 1 Lemon
1/2 tsp. Oregano
1/4 tsp. Fresh ground Black Pepper
1 clove of Garlic, minced
1/4 cup of White Wine Vinegar
1/4 cup of Water (optional)
1 tbsp. chopped fresh Basil
1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
Shake in a Salad Dressing Shaker or mix in a tall glass.
Pour over salad as needed.
I never keep fresh dressing for longer than a week in the refrigerator.

Recipe Tip: This recipe is a wonderful marinade for fish, pork, beef or chicken. I've used it to marinate chicken, beef, zucchini, squash, mushrooms and beef chunks for grilled kabobs. It has a very fresh taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment