Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cherry Tomato, Garlic and Parsley Salad...2 or 10 Plus Ways to Expand a Simple Salad

Cherry or Grape Tomatoes make a fast, easy and healthy salad with strong flavors that blend effortlessly with a little vinegar and fresh herbs. I am trying to cook without added salt or fat. This is one of my "go-to" recipes. Today I made my salad with fresh parsley.

$$ Tip:
To save grocery money, I only buy one bundle of fresh herbs at a time and use it throughout the week in my meals. This week parsley was 99 cents, so I'm using it in about 10 different dishes. This salad also works well with fresh rosemary, basil or cilantro. I like the flavor of balsamic vinegar with parsley. I've also used rice wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar with tomatoes and it's equally fabulous. When I cook, I don't want to stress over a meal plan of perfect recipe combinations. I use what I have, what's fresh and what's on sale.


$$ Tip: When I have leftovers, I find that if I re-purpose them and serve them a little differently the next day, my family doesn't notice or complain. I hope that you enjoy this little salad as much as we do.


Recipe Combo Tip: Other vegetables that work well tossed in with the cherry tomatoes, garlic and parsley salad are roasted broccoli, garbanzo beans; red, green or yellow bell peppers, black olives and scallions.

Fiber Tip:
This recipe also works as a base to a higher fiber salad. You can add it to leftover couscous, whole grain pasta or wild rice. Kidney beans, garbanzo beans & fava beans could ramp up even more fiber. If you choose to add the beans to the grain, I suggest also adding some bell peppers, black olives and scallions.

Can you see how easy it is to work the foods you already have into fast, economical and easy options?

Cherry Tomato, Parsley, Garlic & Balsamic Salad

1 Pint of Cherry Tomatoes, sliced in half
8 sprigs of Fresh Parsley, chopped
1 tbsp. Minced Garlic
1 tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
2 tbsp. Water
Cracked Black Pepper to taste
Toss lightly. Chill for 1 hour before serving. This is one of our families top "10 Minute Favorites."











Cherry Tomato, Green Bean, Garlic, Parsley and Balsamic Salad

1 Pint of Cherry Tomatoes, sliced
1/2 pound or leftover Roasted Green Beans
8 sprigs of Fresh Parsley, chopped
1 tbsp. Minced Garlic
1 tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
2 tbsp. Water
Cracked Black pepper to taste
Toss lightly. Chill for 1 hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment