Saturday, April 9, 2011

High Fiber Turkey Loaf or as the kids say, Mystery Loaf

I love a good, juicy meatloaf!! Thinking in terms of "I Will Do Anything For Love," I am revamping the family favorite. I know that the kids hope that "....I won't do that," but out with the ground beef wrapped in bacon with creamy mushroom gravy and in with experimenting with High Fiber Turkey Meatloaf recipes.

This one was very tasty. Tom added Worcestershire sauce and the kids coated theirs in Ketchup. I cut mine into bite size pieces to top my salad.

The oatmeal and flax seeds add fiber, while the canned mushrooms add moisture. The egg binds the ingredients together. I never add salt to a recipe.

Do you like my platter? I found it while thrift shopping for $1.99. It's Noritake Miyoshi China. I found it for $39.95 on Ebay and $74.95 on Replacements. Maybe that's another business to consider. I enjoy the feeling of saving money!!

High Fiber Turkey Loaf or as the kids say, Mystery Loaf

1 Pound of lean ground Turkey Meat
1/2 cup of uncooked Oatmeal
2 tbsps. of Flax Seeds
3 Eggs
1 Onion, Diced and sauteed in Olive Oil
Ground Black Pepper to taste
1 tsp. of Italian Seasonings
1 tbsp. of Minced Garlic

Mix it all together in a bowl. Blend well with your hands.
Transfer to a glass backing pan and form a loaf shape.
Bake on 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Check to see if the meat is done.
If not, leave the meat in the oven and check every 5 minutes until it's ready to serve.

Note: I like crispy edges, so I always choose a pan large enough to leave space between the loaf and the sides of the pan.

Recipe Tip: For a little zest, sautee fresh green, yellow or red peppers with the onions and add to the meat loaf mix.

Recipe Tip: Sneak in some shredded carrots or zuccini into the meat loaf mix.

Recipe Tip: For an Italian Meatloaf, add green peppers and black olives to the mix. Then pour marinara sauce with diced tomatoes on top of the loaf before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment