Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Black Rice with Coconut Milk, Oranges and Almonds

I found this beautiful purple rice called "Black Rice" at the farmers market. I had no clue what to do with it!!

I found out that it is used as a dessert rice.

After a bit of research, I came up with this delicious recipe. It's wonderful served either warm or cold.

Black Rice with Coconut Milk, Oranges and Almonds
Soak the Black Rice in water overnight. Drain and rinse before cooking. Be very careful because the liquid stains everything it touches!!

Black Rice does not cook well in the Rice Cooker, so I made it the old fashioned way on the stove.

I put 1 tbsp. of Sesame Oil in hot frying pan. I added 1 pound (dry weight) of the still moist Black Rice to the pan and sauteed it for a few minutes.

In a large pot, I added water equal to the same volume of rice plus 1 can of Coconut Milk. I brought it to a boil before adding the Black Rice.

I stirred in the Black Rice and turned the temperature to Low.

Stir several times to keep the rice from sticking.

The Black Rice simmered and steamed in the pot for about 30 minutes before the rice absorbed all of the liquid. The Black Rice is a bit sticky by nature.

Add
1/2 cup of Slivered Almonds
1 small can of Mandarin Oranges, drained
1/3 cup of Chopped Dates
Dash of Ground Cinnamon

Stir it all together. Serve warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment